Topic: The National museum intends to erect a statue in front of its entrance. It cannot be decide whether the statue should be of Stamford Raffles or Tan Tock Seng. If you were the representative of the museum, who will you choose and why ?
If I were the representative of the museum I will choose to erect a statue of Tan Tock Seng in front of its entrance. I chosen to erect a statue of Tan Tock Seng in front of the museum entrance as he give medical help to the sufferring and plight of his unfortunate fellow man. I will not choose Stamford Raffles as he did not did anything to Singapore to became what is it today, and moreover he gt two statue already but Tan Tock Seng had none.
Tan Tock Seng was born in Melaka and came to Singapore in 1819, at the age of 21. He amassed wealth but did not ignore the suffering and plight of his unfortunate fellowmen. He was not the only richest merchants in Singapore, but also a philanthropist who gave liberally to charity. He had a passion for the sick and poor and at his own expenses buried the unclaimed bodies or paid the funeral expenses of those who could not afford one. This charity of his is still being continued, unpublicised, by a descendant when he is approached by the deserving poor.
The things that he had done made me feel that a statue of Tan Tock Seng should be erect in front of the entrance of the museum.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Liuzhi,
I agree with you, but Tan Tock Seng being the statue made in front of the National Museum will be weird, while the statue of Stamford Raffles do not look weird at all, somehow, if the statue of Mr Tan Tock Seng is erect in front of the hospital, it would be better and it fits nicely with the background of the hospotal. Don't you think so?
Liu Zhi,I totally agree with you as Stamford Raffles already had 2 statues while Tan Tock Seng had none.So I thoroughly believed that it should belong to Tan Tock Seng alone.
Vivian,
it is not about whether it look nice or not but the reason of erecting who in front of the entrance of the museum. That is what i think.
Camillia,
yes. The statue should be Tan Tock Seng.
Post a Comment